Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Diva is a female version of a Hustla?

What is a Diva? According to one of the dictionary I found online, a Diva is a person who considers herself (or by extension himself) much more important than others, has high expectations of others and becomes angry when their standards or demands are not met.

According to Wikipedia, the term is often used with a negative connotation. This derives from the implication that a star who is a "diva" is arrogant, difficult to work with, high-maintenance, manipulative, fussy, highly strung, privileged and demanding. Professional singers and actors often use this term to describe someone who desires the stage spotlight over others.

I think I’ve had the misfortune of meeting one or two divas in my lifetime and let me just say that not one of them is a popular singer or a superstar. Hence, I am wondering why these insignificant people act like one???!!

I had encountered one such diva-like character while I was helping out with one of the performance for my company’s annual dinner to be held in 3 weeks time. I don’t know her that well but you know how sometimes some people can just get under your skin even though you don’t know them that well? You just get that vibe…that uncomfortable feeling when you’re with that person. She was very eager to perform, heck she even managed to get a solo spot! I have nothing against her eagerness, it’s just that during practice you can see that she was trying to show off, like she had so much more experience and that everyone else’s dance technique just pale in comparison to hers. I just want to go up to her and say, “Woman, chill will ya??!!!” but I’m sure I would just be wasting my time and breath. I just hope she doesn’t demand a changing room filled with white roses and lilies from top to bottom like J.Lo.

Another predicament I’m in is figuring out what to wear for this Annual Dinner. The theme is Middle Eastern and I’m just so tempted to borrow one of my mom’s “jubah” and be done with it. Kalau body cam model bolehlah pakai macam kat bawah ni tapi sayang seribu kali sayang bodyku bukan macam model…if I wear something like below it would be like sarung nangka! Hahaha! Sigh…


13 comments:

Ms B said...

*LOL* yeah, there are many "divas" who are no where close to being a celebrity. It is like some incidents that I encountered too, where the girls kept talking abt their gucci/lv etc given by bfs. Then suddenly they asked how much I earn. That kept them quiet. Bf or not, I can still walk into those stores.

babe, i suggest u wear the attire above and the jubah outside, so that when you get home, you can do belly dancing for hubby (or striptease for that matter). *winks* (dah merapu lah ni.)

Lynn said...

Diva is such a tainted word. The true divas to me are people like Saloma, Siput Sarawak, Dame Judy Dench. True talents - not like the ones you described in this post.

You could dress like like Marc Jacobs did for his party last year dressed as a camel toe. I bet your "diva" would appreciate it *wink*

mv binti said...

all the divas I know (real lifelah) are debab tee heee!!!

OK OK half only -- the other half are gays :-)

Anonymous said...

i totally agree...wear the slinky type of jubah the sheer layered material, add a sparkly tudung and pull across your face.kat dalam dlm tuu...sarung nangka pun best jugak lagi thrill he nak 'kupas'...

jo elier

Anonymous said...

c_gurl,

whilst also organizing a corporate dinner a million years ago....I came across one has been diva who demanded amongst others a separate changing room and doesn't want to duet with anybody...dah lah letak harga mahal giler...finally i cut her out n replace her with the gorgeous(then...now dunno laa) salimah mahmood hehehe...


cheers..

Cosmic_GurL said...

Ms B - Hahaha...I do belly dancing for him EVERYDAY la darling..hahaha...

Lynn - Yeah, the word "diva"
nowadays is often associated with celebrity or person who has an attitude problem...

valisa - Debab??? Hahahaha....notty la u :P

Jo - Mak ai!! I dont think im that daring la babe :P

RDB - Errrmm..who is salimah mahmood again? Hehehe

akula said...

Damn! That mannequin do look sexy! Hahahaha

Anonymous said...

c_gurl,

she was (still?) a cool gorgeous club singer who performed cool jazzy songs at clubs during the late 80's...u may not be around or too small to know her...I always lepak with the solianos, and salimah always sang with them....di situ lah saya tahu beliau...mungkin solianos pun u tak kenal kot

cheers...

Anonymous said...

That's what I like, a blog like mine.....with some spark, class and attitude!

kawaii_desu said...

if me nak jadi sarung pun tak muat huhuhu

diva has always been associated as being ngada-ngada2 and perasan first class.. i think

glamorouscorner said...

welcome sis... ;)

Cosmic_GurL said...

akula - Cheh! Men! :P

RDB - I think ive heard of the solianos but i dont think ive listened to them sing..hehehe

Sassy - Thanks Darl!

KD - Yeah usually yang besar kepala tu we will say theyre acting like a Diva

glamorouscorner - welcome to what exactly?

Mrs.A said...

I rasa I macam kenal je Diva ni... My hubby worked at your company for 9 years.....!